Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting better?

Thanks Kate for your reply. I strapped him up over night and this morning the swelling was down, there was still some swelling but minimal. I put him on the lunge to see how he was doing. Slightly lame at the trot both directions. Slight - I mean sometimes you could see something and sometimes I was questioning myself. I only let him trot two circles on either rein - didn't want to push it.

I ice bandaged again for 30min and then put a natural type poultice in it for the day. When I was rubbing the poultice on I found the heat had localised to right around the fetlock joint. I think I felt a small lump on the outside and inside of the fetlock?

This evening I hosed off the poultice and I could only ice it for 12min and put the poultice back on. The swelling has stayed down but there was still heat in the joint.

Do I call the vet? Do I take him in for x-rays? Do I keep doing what I am doing until Monday and reassess again. Sam is very bright and happy within himself. I can still poke and prod and squeeze with no reaction.

Am I over reacting? Probably but I worry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to say - sounds like it might just be an ouchy. If you keep doing what you're doing, all of which is good, and he doesn't improve after a few more days, it might be time for a visit from the vet. If you can poke and prod and squeeze without it bothering him, that's a very good sign.