Sunday, March 15, 2009

The story so far.......................


Hi everyone. You will have to be patient with me, I am new to this blogging thing. I have decided to keep a written record of my life with Sam or Super Sam as we quite often call him. Sam entered my life in October 2007 this was when I met him for the first time. I saw Sam advertised in HorseDeals a few months before and had rung up about him but he didn't sound like the type of horse I was after. (Sam was a Thoroughbred, green, chestnut, 9yo) Something about his photo stayed with me though and by October I decided to ring up and see if he was still available. He sure was and I made a time to go and see him.

I think I was a bit smitten when I first saw him in the paddock. He walked up to us to say hello and was very happy to be lead up to the stable area. Jayne the lady who owned him rode him first and then I got to have ride. Yes he was green but he was so comfortable to ride. He also tried hard. We didn't work him for long because he was very unfit but I was in love. I left Jayne and Sam and drove home to have a think about Sam and what I really wanted in a horse. My friend Sarah had come with me and video taped the ride so when I got home I was glued to the TV for the next hour watching the footage over and over again. I talked to my wonderful husband about him and rang my bestest friend Jodi and we discussed him for probably an hour.

Jayne was very patient with me and let me go out and see and ride Sam about 4 more times before I made my decision. The reason it took me so long was because earlier in the year I had bought a horse that ruined my confidence not only with riding but in my confidence of my knowledge if that makes sense. I organised a vet check and he failed miserably. The vet strongly advised me not to buy Sam. He was a 9 year old Thoroughbred that had done nothing in his life - never raced - and he failed the flexion test, x-rays showed degenerative joint disease and both stifles locked. He also had terrible hooves. This was a blow. I had decided to buy Sam and I just did the vet check out of habit. Hubby and I had to have a real heart to heart. I decided to go ahead and buy Sam knowing that he wouldn't have a long ridden life but there was just something about him.

On the 3rd November 2007 we handed over the money and Sam became my new pony. Jayne was very kind and let me keep Sam at her place. She has 80 acres, a large riding paddock, sand round yard, and a finally finished 40 x 20m dressage arena. So my adventures began!

I will write more tomorrow!!!!!!!!

No comments: