Thursday, July 1, 2010

My lesson and 3rd day of the shelter

I have been so nervous all day about my lesson. I had to float Sam into my instructors place so I was nervous about floating him, about how he would react at a new place, how backwards my riding has gone lately. I have been sick to my stomach for most of the day.

Sam loaded reasonably well. I wasn't overly happy with it taking 10min but when I look at his history that is very good. He probably sensed my nervousness and was feeding off that. We loaded up and my other half drove for me. I appreciated it because I really wasn't feeling up to it.

We arrived with 30min to spare. Unloaded Sam, walked him around with me while I was looking for a chock for the float. Sam was happy to follow me around with a low head carriage, grabbing a bite to eat when he could. OH held him by the float and I saddled him up. I thought I would lead him down to the arena in his halter and put the bridle on when we were ready. My instructor was already there so we could get started straight away. I mounted and we walked around the arena letting him have a look at everything. He took it all in and didn't spook once. We worked on getting him to go forward at the walk and getting me to relax! So we went through my relaxation exercises and moved up to the trot. We worked mainly on my position for the entire lesson. It was really good. I felt confidant and was reminded of the following points -
# use my ankles in trot as springs
# to stay light in my seat in the canter but maintaining leg length - stretching down through my legs
# when on a circle don't drop the inside shoulder and DON'T take your hands towards the outside - make the inside leg stronger to stop him from falling in - kick if needs be!!!!!

Sam worked well, active behind with out rushing. He did work very hard due to the sand that he had to work through. In all I was worried about nothing - as usual and he loaded very well to come home!

The shelter is coming along nicely. Steve thinks he should be done by Sunday/Monday - I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff - so glad it went well - and it's cute he loaded so well on the way home - think he wanted to go back there?

Unknown said...

Don't you just love the feeling of realizing you were worried over nothing? Such a relief. Glad it was a good lesson!

Wolfie said...

I actually drop my inside shoulder and I have to remind myself to keep my inside leg strong to stop my guy from bending inside. :-) Glad your lesson went well. Shelter is looking good!

SprinklerBandit said...

Exciting things going on in your neck of the woods! I'm super jealous of the shelter. ;-)