Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New job, non horsey people and sheep!

I started a new job last week, hence the long absence once again. I have to figure out a new routine for the mornings and the afternoons, feeding, turn out times, riding - you know what it is like.

My farrier rang me yesterday to tell me he was going away for 10 days (how nice is that! He actually rang me to tell me I thought that was very nice.) My neighbour would like to try him as well and Sams front shoe nails are starting to raise and I don't think they would last another two weeks so we organised to take our horses into him for the day as he doesn't have the time to come out to us.

Nobody is horsey at my new employment place which is a little difficult but I'm used to it. I told my new boss today that I may be a little late in the morning. I am not planning on it but if things don't go to plan then I my be, the conversation went like this.......

Me: Mary, I may be a little late in the morning as I have to bring a horse into town.

Mary: What do you mean?

Me: I am bringing my horse in for day care.

Mary: There is a horse day care?

Me: Yep I bring him in once a week :) , no I am taking him to my farrier's place.

Mary: Farrier?

Me: He is getting new shoes.

Mary: Your horse gets shoes?!

Me: Yep he is going shoe shopping!

Mary: That's fine if your a little late. (With a very bewildered look on her face!)

I love non horsey people sometimes. They just don't get it. With rain and starting the new job Sam has been getting a bit of a holiday but now that I am getting a feel for my new times we should be able to start work again. I think he has been missing it. He has been looking a little depressed lately and is enjoying getting out when I have had the time.

We also got a herd of sheep today. Our neigbour has leant them to us to help eat out some of the weeds in the back paddock. Boy did Sam put on a show for us when we were trying to get them through the gate, prancing and rearing and kicking up his heels. Wish I had a chance to get a few photos for you. When he rears he goes straight up and stands there for a bit before coming back down - it is impressive but I am glad he doesn't do it when I am on board! When the sheep settle in I will get some photos for you. They are Dorset's - the white ones with black faces and legs - sooooo cute!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Non-horsey people are funny! Would love to see the sheep! Our Dawn does exactly that sort of rear when she's excited - she used to do it when ridden, too but has given that up, fortunately!

Unknown said...

Aw, can't wait to see pictures of the sheep!! They sound adorable. Too funny with horses and work. I once was hanging up the phone as someone was coming into my office and absent-mindedly explained it was my horse's chiropractor, totally forgetting what kind of reaction that would cause!