Big day on Saturday. I can't wait, I have really missed Sam over the past week and a half. We were going to pick him up after work on Friday but I have been asked to close up instead of open so I won't finish until 6pm. It would still give me about 2.5hrs of daylight but I would feel rushed and I don't want that. I get worked up enough as it is about floating. I am sure he will be fine I just don't want to jinx it. I want us to start again on a good note.
Last night Scott and I went out to the paddock and Scott mowed it for me. The weeds were really high, I sprayed last weekend around the edges and some of the big ones in the paddock. We are hoping if we can keep it short it might die. I have been promised another paddock it just has to be fenced so it might be a few months away yet!
I get teased a lot out at the paddock about how I look after Sam. I am known as the pedantic owner. Sometimes it gets me down a bit, I just try to keep Sam happy, healthy both mentally and physically. I worry a lot about his well being and if I am giving him enough nutritionally, is he happy, is he warm, cool. He is not living in an environment that I am totally happy with but the best I can give at the moment. Oh well I do have to just get over it and know that I am happy with the care I give to him. I am horrified at what some people do, only feeding their horses once a day and they are kept in large dirt paddocks but you can't force your opinions onto others. Their horses seem happy and healthy so who am I to step in and upset the apple cart. I don't agree with how some people treat their horses or the way they train them. They aren't cruel as such but I know gentler ways of achieving the same goals. I have learnt to keep my mouth shut unless asked for my opinion or help. I can't wait until we can find a place of our own!!!!
I am having second thoughts about getting another horse. I am not worried about the horse itself just the cost of a second horse. My bills would double and I need to decide if I am willing to take that on. My husband is very supportive and thinks I should buy Nic but I always worry about money. I think my main worry is that if something happens to one of us will I still be able to provide for my horses. I know I could sell one of them but I am not good at selling horses, I normally buy for life. I hate that I am like this. I think about things, then go over and over it!
Pros for buying Nic:
I believe he would teach me a lot in all 3 disciplines
I believe my confidence would increase
With me learning quicker I would be able to help Sam better
Sam would have company
Cons for buying Nic:
My horse expenses would double
He will probably require Pentosan shots monthly and a daily joint food
Will I have the time to keep two horses in work
I would only be able to afford a lesson once a month instead of once a fortnight and only on one of them at a time (so 6 lessons each through out a year)
So much to think about, decisions to make and I know only I can make them.
I did talk to my instructor about Nic and she wasn't keen because he isn't ridden in a snaffle in jumping. I am thinking along the lines of, if I feel safe, he can do everything that I am looking for in a horse then if that is his only fault I can live with that. I should listen to my instructor but I feel I have been hurt emotionally too many times in the past. That is another post that I don't feel like writing about just yet - another time!
Sorry for the rambling but you know how it is sometimes typing it down can help. :o)