Monday, August 16, 2010

A new instructor, new thoughts

I had a really good lesson yesterday. I am trying not to get too excited just yet but old Sam was poking through. The weather a terrible so we were at the indoor I have been taking Sam to.

We worked on getting a contact while asking Sam to be forward. We soon got it and Sam was working in a nice round frame. Not all the time but it was quite steady and soft. When he was getting tired he was really leaning on my hands but he worked well and when asked would come up off them even though it was hard for him - and ME!!!!!!

What I liked about this lady is that she did not expect things instantly. At one point she asking for Sam to be more forward so I gave him a bump which of course made him put his head in the air, hollow his back and go tense. She does not want that - keep him calm and relaxed and squeeze, if it takes half a circle that is no problem - he is learning and we want it to be a happy place not a scary really uncomfortable place. We also worked on transitions and it was interesting because Sam has a lot of difficulty with walk, trot transitions - with his locking stifles it makes it hard for him. He sort of hops/rears into it. Sometimes we can get a lovely transition but only about 50% of the time. We did three transitions and then I was asked to keep trotting she believes to try 3 times and if it still isn't working to move on. Tomorrow is another day. I am still thinking about this one.

Scott came and videoed the lesson for me and watching it I think it was the best, most consistent Sam and I have ever worked. I will having another few lessons with her just to make sure it wasn't a one off but so far so good!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds very promising, and good for Sam and you!

SprinklerBandit said...

Excellent! She sounds like a good match for you two.